3/02/2011

Michael Jackson Estate vs. Howard Mann - Updates

Howard Mann's lawyers responded to the Michael Jackson Estate's claims in the above titled case. Below you may read of some interesting points:

- Mann didn't infringe the This Is It copyrights, because it has been posted on a social media website (note: JacksonSecretVaults.com has not been marked as a social media website until the lawsuit has been filed. As well the image has been put into the website's layout, what's been owned by Mann's Canadian company).

- Mann claims that he is entitled to use the MJ drawings in Katherine Jackson's book, because he has a licence agreement from the material's co-owner.

- Mann refers on more points to the 2005 court order regarding the memorablia, and says that MJ even lost his property rights, interests and titles.

- Mann says that the pose in the Vintage Pop Media logo hasn't been invented by MJ, but it has been on for decades before him (note: this is a very weak excusion, who wouldn't think of MJ looking at the logo?).

- Mann claims that Katherine thanked for the MJ Estate in her book, because she thanked them for letting her preserving MJ's memories. And not for acting as MJ's Estate endorsed the book. (note: should I say anything?).

- Mann claims that MJ and Janet had ownerships in Jackson Communications Inc., the company that caused Henry Vaccaro's take over the family memorablia.

- Mann claims that the original Jackson family restaurant network was intended to be named as "Jackson Street".

- Mann confirms that Vaccaro is a member of Vintage Pop Media LLC, that currently owns the memorablia. He defines himself as a consultant of Vaccaro and business partner of Katherine.

- According to the documents MJ first wanted to get back his items in May, 2002. Two years later MJ's lawyers even started to threaten Vaccaro, because of exploiting his items.

- Mann claims that the MJ Estate or Sony might have violate their copyrights with releasing the Destiny song in 2009 (note: when did they get ahold of the copyrights of this song?).

- Mann claims on many points that MJ had the chance to remove his personal items from the collection, but refused to do so (note: then Mann's lawyers filed a 2002 court paper that clearly states: MJ's lawyers didn't know that any of his personal property left in the collection, and if anyone could sell them).

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Leslie for keeping us updated on the Mann case. Much appreciated.

PM said...

Mann's defense is extremely weak. Leslie why don't you post a link to the court papers that Mann filed. I think the fans will greatly appreciate it. And I am sure they wouldn't mind making a donation to cover the costs if that becomes a problem.

Michael Jackson: And Justice for Some said...

Leslie,

I agree with PM, is there a way for you to provide links to the material you cover? It helps when repeating something you said on twitter or blog, to be able to use a source to show credibility. Thanks so much for this blog, it is sincerely appreciated!

Susan62509 said...

Leslie:
A delightfully huge thank you for providing this blog. I've been following the legal aspects of MJ and discovered this blog 2 months ago. I found that your blog is exactly as court document state. I appreciate you other indepth infomation also.

Very interesting that Mann claims he is a consultant and Vacarro states in his interview with you that he sold almost all to Mann. Your interview with Vacarro would be extremely beneficial to Howard Weitzman and I'm hopeful you will contact them directly ASAP.

If you are paying for court documents via L.A. Superior Court, I would be willing to make a donation to you also if you could copy them & convert to a link for us to read.

Thank you and great job Leslie.

LeslieMJHu said...

Hi,

I'll look into the possibilities to give more details of my researches. However I would appreciate more trust after all the years.

Leslie

Webbie said...

Hi Leslie!
I've been following you and your blog for such a long time now, that I can't even remember how long exactly...
And although I continue to visit your website on a daily base, I never left a comment or showed my appreciation towards you.
Thought today would be a good idea to change that, so here it is: thank you, Leslie, for the latest news, for the tidbits, for the legal stuff, for keeping us up to date. And by the way: after all these years, I don't need a source. You are your own source and that's fine this way. Why would that need to change now?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your verry good work! But I wish, you give us a link to the court papers that Mann filed.
Hannika from Germany

Susan62509 said...

Oh dear Leslie: My request, and I interpret the others here, do not have any trust issue with you. As for myself, I enjoy reading every small detail and how sentences are worded in legal documents. I am deeply grateful for everything you write and I trust and believe you 1000%. Due to your accuracy, I feel comfortable in sharing what I learn from you with others. Please do NOT take any offense in what I asked for. I wouldn't be here if I didn't trust you. Thank you for the wonderful job you are doing for us.

elizabeth said...

thx Leslie, I think he's a creep. I've gotten wrong #'s before (due to my naivety); I don't think this time. No coincidence that he works along with Ms. Johnson of HTWF. I hate seeing people use Mrs.Jackson & Michael's kids, let alone him & his name. More will be revealed. I trust John Branca & The Estate.

Michael Jackson: And Justice for Some said...

Leslie,

Sorry for the request for the source. I never meant to offend you in any way. Like Susan said, I just am interested in reading the court documents, but my sincere apologies.

Justice

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have a message for the webmaster/admin here at lesliemjhu.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from this blog post right above if I provide a link back to your website?

Thanks,
James

LeslieMJHu said...

Hi,

James: Yes, you can.

Leslie

Anonymous said...

I like Kathrines partner Howard Mann.
He is the only person helping Michael's family. He is getting a bad wrap by allot of people who buy into the media that is controlled by the powerful Estate. The Estate folks are the only people that have self serving intentions. That is painfully obvious.

Anonymous said...

I am all for Howard Mann helping the Jacksons also. He doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong and he is their family's friend. There are allot more reasons to be upset with the Jackson Estate than to be picking on Mr. Mann and Mrs Jackson in my opinion.